What is a Software Framework?
Our software framework is a universal, reusable software platform used to develop applications, products and solutions. Software Frameworks include support programs, compilers, code libraries, an application programming interface (API) and tool sets that bring together all the different components to enable development of a project or solution.
Software Frameworks are designed to facilitate the development process by allowing designers and programmers to spend more time on meeting software requirements rather than dealing with the more tedious details of providing a working system. Software frameworks allow developers to spend less time coding, less time “developing” and debugging and more time on value-added development and concentrating on the business-specific problem at hand rather than on the plumbing code behind it resulting, faster time to market.
Tridium’s software frameworks are used to develop device-to-enterprise applications, Internet-enabled products and automation system solutions.
Software Frameworks from Tridium
The Niagara Framework® is a software platform that integrates diverse systems and devices regardless of manufacturer, or communication protocol into a unified platform that can be easily managed and controlled in real time over the Internet using a standard web browser. NiagaraAX resolves the challenges associated with open systems, integration and interoperability by integrating diverse systems and devices - regardless of manufacturer, or communication protocol - into a unified platform that is easily managed and controlled over the Internet. A scalable solution, NiagaraAX increases the functionality and value of “smart devices and systems” by connecting real time operational data to the people and systems that manage business enterprises.
NiagaraAX creates a common environment that connects to almost any embedded device imaginable. It models the data and behavior of the devices into normalized software components, providing a seamless, uniform view of device data to the enterprise via a wide variety of IP-based protocols, XML-based connectivity options, and open API’s. By transforming the data from diverse external systems into normalized components, NiagaraAX creates an architecture that provides substantial benefits over gateway-based integration.
Today, there are over 245,000 instances of the Niagara Framework deployed worldwide.
- Comprehensive graphical tools
- Open APIs
- Source code examples
- Driver development toolkit and tools
The Sedona Framework™ is the industry's first, open source development framework that provides a complete software platform for developing, deploying, integrating, and managing pervasive device applications at the lowest level. It brings the power of programmable control and the Internet down to extremely inexpensive devices. The Sedona Framework distributes decision making control and manageability to any device and brings intelligence and connectivity to the network edge and back.
The Sedona Framework allows manufacturers to easily and quickly build their own device to internet applications rather than having to build their own applications or use the complex and difficult embedded programming tools that exist today.
- Open source
- Rapid porting to new hardware platforms
- Programmable or fixed applications
- Wired and wireless communications
- Single development tool
- Seamless integration to Niagara systems
- Remote provisioning
Benefits of Developing on Tridium’s Software Frameworks
The Niagara and Sedona Frameworks are extremely robust, flexible, and expandable open-based development platforms which manufacturers can build products and applications with unparalleled reliability, security, operational integrity, flexibility, and bottom-line value. Benefits include:
- Lower costs and minimized risks - Take advantage of much lower upfront capital investment
- Focus on the business value Frees up organizations from supporting high-cost, time-consuming development functions
- Faster time-to-value and market - Reduces the time required in development so get to market quicker
- Rapid and easy implementation - Reduce initial project implementation requirements as well as the struggle in gaining multiple approvals and ongoing support. Getting started is simplified with based tools
- Greater end-customer acceptance – Proven development platforms, large, well established ecosystem--gives the assurance needed to ease adoption of new products/solutions-Over 167,000 instances and over 12,000 certified professionals
- Decrease time-to-market and optimize performance of the applications
- Everything to get started at immediately at you fingertips; support programs, compilers, code libraries, scripting language, an application programming interface (API) and tool sets that bring together all the different components to enable development of a project or solution
- Industry Accolades-Consistently recognized by industry analyst as the leading enabling technologies for continually advancing how devices integrate, connect and create interoperable environments
- Software/ platform that you can trust----proven/field tested; many OEMs already using the platform and have developed products based on it
- Design technically and philosophical to your specifications and create more features and functionality